We had gone to Parma primarily for the foodie tour, but while we were there, we wanted to take a little time to see the city itself, and it lived up to what we had heard from Greg's European coworkers: it is a wealthy city compared to many in Europe, and has been for awhile, so there was lots of interesting, old architecture and lots of modern shopping occupying those buildings. Also, there were lots of churches. The building on the left is the town hall, officially called the Palazzo del Governatore from the 13th century; top right photo is the Late Mannerist façade of the church of San Giovanni Evangelista from 1604; and the bottom right is the Parma Cathedral, which finished construction in 1106 and is supposedly made of beautiful marble that appears to change color, but that was covered in scaffolding. (Thanks Wikipedia for exact spellings and dates on all those!)
The church related building that we went into was the Baptistry of Parma, built between 1196-1270. It is essentially a rather small building around, but a few stories tall, that clearly was used pretty much just for baptisms and not a whole lot else, but it was beautiful inside!